WHAT'S YOUR PICK THIS WEEKEND?
Greetings and welcome to GISH PICKS: A GUIDE TO CULTURAL ACTIVITIES FOR FAMILIES, a free weekly e-newsletter/blog I created as a service to the Houston community in 2003 in which I cull from the loads of activities in our city and pick three weekend events (“PICKS”) to recommend to parents, caregivers, and educators all over Houston. I’m a mom and am always looking for cultural – yet FUN! – Events for my family and I am so happy to share them with YOU.
My business grows by word of mouth so please enjoy the events and please share this blog. And be sure to tell the organizations you visit that you heard about them from me. And if you’re in Facebooklandia, please sidle over there and like our GISH PICKS Facebook page and share it with your friends and family and elsewhere on social media, too. Don’t want to miss any posts? Click on the drop-down LIKE button and then check “See First.” Thanks!
Next week is – gasp, already?! – spring break so get your running shoes on and let’s go. And don’t worry – I am here to help! Check out my suggestions below to get the party started.
Some things have gotten my attention that I want to share with you – things that concern me. To make things easier, I’ve listed them bullet point style. Take my ideas or leave them, I just wanted to share some things I came across.
- Should there be competition under the age of 10? Matt Damon’s mom, a psychologist named Nancy Carlsson-Paige, says no. Read more here.
- Please don’t let your kids play football! I know it’s America’s most popular sport but the risk to your child’s brain and body is personally more than I would want my boys to take. See the movie “Concussion,” based on a true story, and then do your own research about football injuries.
- Speaking of football, did you know that young kids are playing “Fantasy Football”? The Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood sent a letter to the NFL asking them to stop marketing that game to young kids. Good for them!
- Want to raise a spiritual child? Read what Frederick G. Levine had to say here. Also, send your kids to the Dawn Mountain meditation classes and increase the peace around the house. More details on those are here; the next class is “Mindful Discovery” for kids 9-12 years old and starts April 3.
- Do you have a crying baby? Pick him or her up! The Ferber method does NOT work. Many of us figured that out already but now there is scientific proof, as outlined in this article here.
- I read a Facebook post recently from a mom whose autistic child was traumatized in a park by dog owners who let their dog off leash, who then ran towards her very scared child and bit him! There are leash laws in Houston so please follow them and PLEASE, even if your dog is “nice,” don’t let them roam free in city parks or neighborhoods. Dogs can play all they want without leashes in dog parks.
This week’s VIDEO PICK is a cute one that was made in 48 hours by Houston-based Hot Pixel Action – the music is by my friend Cathy Power of Two Star Symphony. It’s so fun and stars an egg, perfect for Easter time!
Click to view video
Have a great weekend, love one another, please share this, and GO.FIND.FUN.